Caithness and North Sutherland has an exceptional supply chain track record gained over 50 years of servicing the Dounreay nuclear facility.
It has a dynamic and innovative engineering supply chain experienced in decommissioning work. The proximity of Caithness and North Sutherland to the UK’s first commercial wave and tidal energy site (Pentland Firth and Orkney Waters) and the development of the offshore wind energy sites off the east coast of Caithness (Smith Bank and Beatrice) mean it is well placed to service these renewable energy opportunities.
Local companies are using their logistics expertise and skills to work in the nuclear industry in other areas of the UK. Some of them are already working in renewables on hydro schemes and onshore windfarms. Many are working in the oil and gas industry. These skills are transferable as is the high safety driven, ‘can do’, 24/7 365 day culture and attitude.
• Decades of operation at the forefront of technology
• Innovative and knowledge rich enterprises
• Servicing UK and international markets
• Well proven track records in the most demanding environments under rigorous
health, safety and environmental standards
• Leading subsea engineering and construction facilities
• Delivering 24/7 added value solutions
• Lithium ion batteries powering space missions
• Nano technology
• ROVs that plumb extreme underwater locations
• State of the art camera and telemetry equipment in the deepest oceans of the world
Caithness Chamber of Commerce is the lead ‘voice’ of business in the area representing and promoting the local supply chain companies.
Details on the capabilities of the local supply chain can be found in the Invest Caithness Nuclear Supply Chain Directory below (please note these are large PDF files):
Architectural Design Services
Building, Construction and Demolition
Business Support Services
Electrical & Instrument Engineering
Health & Safety Services
Office Accommodation & Equipment
Planning & Consenting
Project Management Services
Recruitment Services / Contract Labour
Radiological Protection Services
Scaffolding / Cranes / Plant & Machinery Hire